Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Simcity 4 won't load
01-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Simcity 4 won't load
The details:

After playing SC4, I exited the program normally. A bit later, I came back it to play some more and the program wouldn't load. I got as far as the splash screen that shows the suspension bridge. During this time, the CD is reading or at least attempting to read the disk. Finally, I get the standard Microsoft error message: Simcity 4 needs to close... blah blah blah. Two or three more attempts give the same message. I reboot and perform a shutdown only the see the same error. Much later, after watching the Cavs win over the Spurs and Louiville defeat Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, I try Simcity 4 again and this time it works. I exited again trying to see if the error reoccurs and it does. This time, neither a reboot or shutdown seem to help. So, I uninstalled the game. Now, the game won't install.

Things that I have tried:

- Virus scan and spyware scans
- Checking the game disks for any type of physical damage
- Checking the CD/DVD drive by testing a few other games that I know required the CD to run.

Known problems - CD/DVD drive no longer plays DVDs.

Any ideas?

Edit: I followed the manual uninstall procedures and tried to reinstall the game. Now, the game won't finish the install. I think my disc second disk is bad.

Critics wanted... Visit Shenee Valley, my very first CJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Is it all scratched up? If it is, you need to use rubbing alchohol (not peroxide) I could not use my disks and had to buy new ones. That happened to me 3 times, unfortunately.

The first time was it was in a rough backpack that crushed the casing.

The second time I lost the 1st disk to install the program.

The third time I lost the registration key used to start the installation process.

And now the 4th time I'm still waiting if something bad happens. . .

I will add some html.
01-04-2007, 10:33 PM

I checked the second disk again and it appears to be in good shape. I'm going to buy the game again today and see what happens. I'm hoping that it is not my CD/DVD drive. It read other game CDs with no problem. It won't read DVDs at all. Also, when I tried to burn some files to disk, it bombed while trying to finish.

Edit: New game discs solved the problem. The game installed quickly

Critics wanted... Visit Shenee Valley, my very first CJ
11-05-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: Simcity 4 won't load
I think that this information is the best.