Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sim City 4 on a netbook?
11-24-2010, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2010 05:26 AM by The Toader.)
Sim City 4 on a netbook?
Hi

I'm trying to find a netbook that can play older games. Would Sim City 4 work on specs like this?

Acer AOD255-1134 comes with these high level Specs. Intel Atom Processor N550, Windows 7 Starter, 10.1" WSVGA LED-backlit Display, Mobile Intel NM10 Express Chipset, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150, 1024MB DDR3 Memory, 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM), Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, Built-In 1.3MP Webcam, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, 3 - USB 2.0 Ports, 6-cell Li-ion Battery (4400 mAh), Up to 8-hours Battery Life, Microsoft Office Starter 2010, 2.76 lbs. | 1.25 kg (system unit only)

It's one of the few Dual Core netbooks. Would SC4 also work on Windows 7?

Thanks

Edit: I also plan on upgrading the Ram to 2gigs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Wink Netbook Considerations
(11-24-2010 05:25 AM)The Toader Wrote:  Hi

I'm trying to find a netbook that can play older games. Would Sim City 4 work on specs like this?

Hardware Specifications:
-Intel Atom Processor N550
-10.1" WSVGA LED-backlit Display
-Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
-Mobile Intel NM10 Express Chipset
-1024MB DDR3 Memory
-250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
-Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
-802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
-Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
-6-cell Li-ion Battery (4400 mAh)

Software Specifications:
-Windows 7 Starter
-Microsoft Office Starter 2010

It's one of the few Dual Core netbooks. Would SC4 also work on Windows 7?

I also plan on upgrading the Ram to 2gigs.

The simple answer is, I'm not sure. To be honest, I have never used Windows 7 as my primary operating system, so I don't have much experience in how well it runs on any computer.

However, I do have some advice using some common sense logic.

The word Netbook implies an extremely mobile, and basic, computer. I wouldn't do anything that required some serious 3D calculations or anything more advanced than image editing on such a computer, unless it was the ONLY computer I had.

Most netbooks that I've seen come with Windows XP or options to downgrade to Windows XP for good reason, hardware specs. Vista and 7 can run on 512MB of RAM minimum, but doing anything on such a setup would be slow and laggy. Ergo, take the RAM upgrade whenever you can.

I believe Dual Core processors aren't going to do much good because Sim City was coded to use only a single thread (which would run on one core processor, leaving the other core unused). This was at the height of the monocore processing age, with the Pentium 4, the largest, beefiest, and most power hungry processor ever designed leading the way.

As for compatability with Windows 7, that's something I'm unsure of. Try installing and running it. If it doesn't work, do some research. One thing I do know is that one could run a virtual machine within 7, and play using a "virtual XP" inside.

I will add some html.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply