Edited in by admin, please don't double post! Smile

Here's mine.

Riots
Earthquakes
Fires
Floods
Hurricanes
Mud slides
Terrorism (Buildings blowing up, Plane Jackings that cause airports to lose their efficiency, plane crash)
Volcanic Erruptions
Plagues (Caused by poor health care that would cause land value to decrease and more places vacated)
Nuclear Meltdown
Tornados
Locust
Train Crash (demolishes buildings near the tracks and causes traffic increase)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM

I'm not a big fan of the terrorism idea. It doesn't seem to fit into a game like this. Just my opinion.
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM

I'm not a big fan of major disaster, at least not having them on by default. What I would like to see is more minor disasters, accidents and crime fighting. Train derailings, car crashes, small fires, toxic spills, bank robberies, pick pockets, cats in trees. Tongue Those sort of things that happen everyday in cities around the globe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2006, 02:47 PM

In sim city tech, that is called a 'mini-disaster'. A mini disaster can happen at anytime and is usually associated by actions the mayor has taken.

Currently the following mini-disasters are:

Fire

Pipe Burst

Power Line spark (technically not a disaster)

Riots

Train Crashes

Nuclear Melt-Down

New mini-disasters I would like:

Heat wave (or drought):
Buildings burst into flames, your water supply drops by 50%, and all electricity produced by Hydro-Electric dams falls by 25%.

There are also major disasters. Here are the ones currently in the game:

Lightining strike

Volcano (Erupting lava)

Robot Attack

The Carosaurus I call it (Autosarus Rex)(made by traffic)

Earthquake

UFO

New Major Disasters I would like:

Flood

Major Drought

Blizzard

Supervolcano (Yellostone is one!)

Tsunami

Any others?

I will add some html.
12-11-2006, 03:48 PM

I would like to see the Tornado/Twister brought back. Bring back the flooding and hurricanes. Also, add the option to have disasters, the major ones, user controlled or random. Random disasters would be controlled by the geography of the region. If your region is flat and open, twisters and tornados are real threats. If you have rivers, your chance for flooding increases.
12-16-2006, 01:46 PM

I've also noticed you don't get any murders in SC...
12-19-2006, 06:45 AM

yeah, new/more disasters would be GREAT! Smile
Especially lots of minor ones, like train derailments if you have low funding for rail, or too congested, etc etc

Also, some really major ones, like a nuclear bomb planted in city by terrorists,
they demand x amount of money.
you can give it too them, or deploy your police to defuse/find the bomb.
12-19-2006, 10:11 PM

danielches Wrote:Also, some really major ones, like a nuclear bomb planted in city by terrorists

I think terrorist-based disasters, especially those involving nukes, bring war just a little too much into the game. SimCity is about dealing with city-level events, like tornadoes and fires. War is a national and international dealing that overshadows the real purpose of the game too much.

I've said this before but I think the only time war should be involved is in cj narrations and in military bases. I hate to be so disagreeable on this but it just doesn't seem to fit.

Joey - Who knows how long we'll be in here. We may have to repopulate the Earth.
Chandler - And condoms are the way to do that?

[Image: userbarHoliday1.gif]
12-20-2006, 03:06 AM

ok, with the nuke disaster, i reckon they would be great, and have them optional,
that way players who dont want them can just turn them off Smile

Also, i recon riots should be changed for SC5:
riots never really happen in SC4, unless you chose to try and force them to happen.......
I reckon they should happen randomly or something too,
like in real life, a lot of the rioters are not from the local area that they are rioting in, they come from other places etc.
If it is a big city, i reckon riots should still happen sometimes, regardless of what the local pop think of you. (not related to mayor rating)

Smile

[Image: liway1.gif]
12-20-2006, 11:37 AM

For a game like SimCity, inputting terrorism would simply bad taste in my opinion. That's all I have to say about that; no lengthy explanation. It would just be bad taste, and they shouldn't do it.
12-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Especially after 9/11. Additionally, terrorrism would be incorporated into a riot, or be factored into the crime rate. And terrorism is not even a natural disaster.

I will add some html.
12-21-2006, 05:36 AM

cityplanner145 Wrote:Especially after 9/11. Additionally, terrorrism would be incorporated into a riot, or be factored into the crime rate. And terrorism is not even a natural disaster.

As an American, a human, and an advocate of peace, I would like to cite this as a major reason for the rejection of this type of disaster. Mad Sad 9/11 really hit home and I think DHamp's explanation says it all perfectly.

Joey - Who knows how long we'll be in here. We may have to repopulate the Earth.
Chandler - And condoms are the way to do that?

[Image: userbarHoliday1.gif]
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM

There would be different types of nuclear disasters. But I think people tend to think of Cherynobl and Hiroshima when they think nuclear.

Another possible disaster could be an epidemic. Who in the world would ever think about disease?

I will add some html.
12-21-2006, 06:23 PM

cityplanner145 Wrote:Another possible disaster could be an epidemic. Who in the world would ever think about disease?

How would this be brought about? Lack of healthcare, I suppose. Also, how do you combat it after it has started? I think it should be more than plopping hospitals.

I agree with all who say the terrorist attack type of disaster is very personal in the United States and in any other country that has been affected by these types of actions. I will also say that it won't be surprising at some point see terrorism addressed in our favorite game. Some franchises have made good profits on tragic incidents in real life. Consider all of the WWII games, by EA and other companies. EA created a FPS that started with the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Rainbox Six series has fighting against the terrorists in book form and interactive entertainment for years.
12-22-2006, 12:55 AM

MrGSCoTTc Wrote:
cityplanner145 Wrote:Another possible disaster could be an epidemic. Who in the world would ever think about disease?

How would this be brought about? Lack of healthcare, I suppose. Also, how do you combat it after it has started? I think it should be more than plopping hospitals.

I agree with all who say the terrorist attack type of disaster is very personal in the United States and in any other country that has been affected by these types of actions. I will also say that it won't be surprising at some point see terrorism addressed in our favorite game. Some franchises have made good profits on tragic incidents in real life. Consider all of the WWII games, by EA and other companies. EA created a FPS that started with the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Rainbox Six series has fighting against the terrorists in book form and interactive entertainment for years.

How about the hospitals produce ambulances in the same fashion as police HQ's and Fire Departments have squad cars and fire trucks. You'd send them into the scene of an emergency such as a bad traffic accident or any situation which would create serious injuries.

In the epidimic case you'd send the ambulances to the hot spots.