SimCity Central Forums

Full Version: do more recycling centers help with dealing trash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, my city is making lots of trash, and i don't want to make landfills which i can't remove if theyre filled.. if i place 5 recycling centers does it remove 100% of the trash? or does only the first one help? in that case, i would like some help please!
I think recycle-centers remove 20% of the trash at max,
I once experimented with landfills an incinerators, it seems in an city of about 12000 Sims a landfill cost as much as an W2E plant, above that you're better off with an incinerator.

(of course, there's alway the cheat of zero-funding the W2E plant, it won't give you any power, but will burn trash all the same Wink )
and will it be poluted?
superaki Wrote:and will it be poluted?
unfortunately, yes.
A great way to overcome pollution and trash is to make a deal with a neighbor and sell it the trash.

I use this strategy with my cities:
I make a main city with only residential and commercial space and place the industries in it's neighbors. In the dirty industry neighbor I place lots of incinerators and then sell all the trash from the main city to the neighbors to be burned. Of course I lower the funding for the incinerators to 0 because they are too expensive to maintain in an dirty industry only town.
In that same town, since it already is as polluted as hell, I place enough coal power plants to supply all its neighbors with cheap power.

But when using this strategy I try to avoid coastal areas for my dirty towns as the black water really looks nasty on the map.

Also, and this might be only because of my antique PC, I have had some problems later on with the synchronization of the city deals. Meaning I could not buy or sell any more power/trash, despite the fact that the connections between the cities facilities were able to cope with the demand.
superaki Wrote:Hey, my city is making lots of trash, and i don't want to make landfills which i can't remove if theyre filled.. if i place 5 recycling centers does it remove 100% of the trash? or does only the first one help? in that case, i would like some help please!

You can remove landfills but it takes some time. Cut off all road access to your landfill so that it gets the no access zot. (It might take awhile to get that zot too). The landfill will decompose. I've never timed it but the piles on huge landfills will disappear after a hundred game years or so if there is no access. Once it's down to the original brown blank landfill zoning you can take that off with any zoning removal tool and you're back to bare earth. If you've got huge landfills and neighbors with trash you can make huge amounts of money by importing trash and letting it degrade. Set up more than one landfill. Open access to one til it's full and then cut it off so it degrades. Open access to your other landfill. Just keep switching back and forth.
Snowplow Wrote:
superaki Wrote:Hey, my city is making lots of trash, and i don't want to make landfills which i can't remove if theyre filled.. if i place 5 recycling centers does it remove 100% of the trash? or does only the first one help? in that case, i would like some help please!

You can remove landfills but it takes some time. Cut off all road access to your landfill so that it gets the no access zot. (It might take awhile to get that zot too). The landfill will decompose. I've never timed it but the piles on huge landfills will disappear after a hundred game years or so if there is no access. Once it's down to the original brown blank landfill zoning you can take that off with any zoning removal tool and you're back to bare earth. If you've got huge landfills and neighbors with trash you can make huge amounts of money by importing trash and letting it degrade. Set up more than one landfill. Open access to one til it's full and then cut it off so it degrades. Open access to your other landfill. Just keep switching back and forth.
the trash on landfills will slowly decompose, when you have road access to them this process will still continue, eventually it will reach an balance between trash coming in and decomposing. When you build an W2E plant, or any other mean to get rid of the trash, there won't be coming any trash to the landfill and you can watch the trash stored there slowly decompose. When the line in the graph indicating the amount of stored trash in your landfills hit 0 it will take about another 10 years to have the last pile of garbage disappear. Smile
Lain Wrote:When you build an W2E plant, or any other mean to get rid of the trash, there won't be coming any trash to the landfill and you can watch the trash stored there slowly decompose. When the line in the graph indicating the amount of stored trash in your landfills hit 0 it will take about another 10 years to have the last pile of garbage disappear. Smile

Bump up the W2E plants funding and lower funding to other power plants and the trash will disappear significantly faster. Trucks will take waste from the landfill and incinerate it. When you run out of landfill trash to incinerate, watch out because your power output will drop as well, and you will need to adjust the other power plants accordingly.
Actually, you don't need to bump up the W2E plant's funding. It'll burn trash from the landfills even at zero funding, and it'll last a heck of a lot longer too. W2E's are one of a few exceptions to the rule in SC4 that reduced funding makes things wear out faster. If their funding is set at zero, they will burn their full amount of trash, but will last for hundreds of years in most cases, compared to about 70-90 years if you fund them.

Also, reducing funding to other power plants is a bad idea because it will reduce their lifespan, meaning you're going to have to replace them sooner. In the long run, it's cheaper to leave them at full funding and not have to replace them as soon than it is to temporarily lower their funding.
toroca Wrote:Also, reducing funding to other power plants is a bad idea because it will reduce their lifespan, meaning you're going to have to replace them sooner.

Only if they are operating at over 80% capacity right?
It's been my experience that reducing power plant funding at all reduces their lifespan. I'd have to look at the exemplar files themselves to be sure, but if I remember right there's a direct link between not only capacity and lifespan but also funding level and lifespan. The same is true of the W2E plant except when it's funded at zero, which is why I reccomend leaving it there.
Reference URL's